Math Placement Test
Overview of the Mathematics Placement Exam
The mathematics placement exam is administered to determine students’ first mathematics course. All incoming students are required to take the mathematics placement test before arriving on campus. This procedure ensures that you will enroll in the most appropriate mathematics course for your level of preparation.
When should I take the exam?
You should take the placement exam at the latest by June 1, so that your advisor and the Mathematics Department will know which courses you will be eligible for before you arrive on campus.
What is the exam like?
The on-line exam consists of 60 multiple-choice questions that test a range of topics from arithmetic to pre-calculus. The test is divided into three sections of 20 questions each. Please plan on having 90 minutes available to complete the test. You may take this test at home if you have a computer, or go to a library or school, which allows you public access to the web.
Can I prepare for the exam?
Please feel free to study for the exam. The following links provide the topics in each section of the exam and some sample problems.
If you are unhappy with your exam score, you have the ability to go back in and take the test a second time. We will count your best score when planning your enrollment for the fall.
Guidelines for taking the placement exam
- Take your time and do your best. This test will place you in the class that best matches your mathematics skills. Once you start the test you must complete it within 90 minutes.
- You may use scratch paper and pencil, but NO calculator.
- The use of textbooks or any other external help is not permitted. Doing so would be a violation of the Norwich University honor code, and sets you up for a very difficult time in your mathematics class because you will be placed in a class that doesn’t reflect your true math skills.
Disclaimer: The Mathematics Placement test is used for placement purposes only. It CANNOT be used for assigning credit or for fulfilling the mathematics requirements at Norwich University.
Follow these steps to take your Math Placement Exam:
- Go to my.norwich.edu (Link opens in new window so you can have these instructions in front of you while you work.)
- Enter your network username with Norwich in all caps and a forward slash before the network username provided to you in the letter from IT. For example NORWICH/aschwarz
- Enter your network password as provided in the letter from IT
- Click on the Banner Web tab near the top of the page
- Enter your network username, this time without the NORWICH
- Enter your network password
- Click on Student Services
- Click on Mathematics Placement Exam and you are finally there!
Your score will appear in Banner Web under Student Services, Mathematics Placement Exam. If you have difficulty taking the exam or finding your score please contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.802.485.2456.